Saturday, August 7, 2010

Totally Hooked!

I tried a number of times over the years to learn to crochet but had never been successful until recently. A blog that I read started a granny square a day challenge and that inspired me to try learning again. With the info from the blog and the help of a friend who patiently sat by my side and talked me through it I finally began to get the hang of crochet and before I knew it I was addicted! I undid more than I made at the beginning but I'm finally getting to the point where I can complete something that looks halfway decent.

I've got two big projects on the go at the moment. The first is a rainbow blanket for baby Lemiwinks. I'm about 2/3 of the way finished so far.



I chose to make it a giant granny square and not try to do anything too complicated because it was the first big crochet project I embarked on and I didn't want to stuff it up or give up halfway because it was too hard.

The second big project I'm working on is a blanket for myself. It's going to be made up of lots of smaller squares that when put together look like a waterlily pond in a garden. Here are the 7 squares I've completed so far. There will be 142 squares all up:-0



This blanket has been really challenging but in a good way. I feel like I've really been improving my crochet and pattern reading skills while working on it. I'm estimating it's going to take about 6-12 months to finish if I keep working at the pace I am now.

I'm trying to resist the urge to start anymore projects until I have at least finished Lemiwinks blanket but I swear I have crafting ADHD and find it hard not to lose focus and start something new every second week.

4 comments:

  1. What yarn is the rainbow blanky in?? Looks fabulous! (but where is the indigo?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called color works. I got it from the wool shop in Mornington. You love it! They have yarn to the ceiling:D They didn't have indigo in the same brand only a kind of pink colour or other shades of green and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also always leave my crochet projects hanging and incomplete. I guess I have the "crafting ADHD" too. Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rainbow afghan is gorgeous! I'm very intrigued by your description of the second blanket - are you using a pattern or making it up yourself? If it's a pattern I would love to know where you got it from so I can make it too!

    ReplyDelete

 
design by suckmylolly.com